Plantains and sweet potatoes??? OK this is obviously not a Polish recipe, but I needed to use up all these ingredients and tasted really good. So now, here it is!
*Will make 7-11 patties depending on size*
- 2 grated large sweet potatoes or yams
- 2 mashed cooked large plantains or 3 small plantains
- 1 finely chopped shallot
- ½ bunch of chopped scallions
- ¼ cup of chopped parsley
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp hot paprika (cayenne powder would work too)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- pinch of salt
- vegetable oil or canola oil
- Peel plantains and boil in a pot with lightly salted water until soft enough to mash. Once plantains have cooked and softened, strain out water and mash the plantains like you would mashed potatoes. Let them cool a little bit.
- After grating sweet potatoes using the large holes of a grater, squeeze out a bit of excess water. You can squeeze with your hand or use a cheesecloth to drain out some moisture
- In a bowl, add grated sweet potatoes, chopped shallot, scallions, parsley, sweet paprika, hot paprika, onion powder black pepper, pinch of salt and gently mix together. Then combine with the mashed plantains. Add two eggs to the mixture and combine well.
- Form mixture into patties of desired size.
- Pour oil into a large skillet on medium-high heat and add patties with plenty of room around them to cook evenly. Cook each patty for about 3 minutes on each side, or until they are crispy and golden, then flip to other side. The time will vary based on size of your patties!
- Remove from pan and get ready to eat. Zofia drizzled honey over her patties and they were delicious.