Pickle soup?!? WHAAAT? Yes. Pickle soup. It has been a thing in Poland for quite some time! It is delicious, savory, and surprisingly doesn’t taste like a jar of pickles, but does have a bit of tang to it. Just try it!
As with all soups, this will taste better the next day, or after it has a chance to sit for a while. Additionally, you should adjust seasoning based on your preferences and feel free to add more liquid to soups as you go along! The ingredients an amounts below are a base, but add and taste and add and taste until you love it!
- 10-14 cups of water or chicken or vegetable stock
- 7-10 sour pickles (look for good quality pickles with a salt brine and lots of garlic, NOT vinegar!)
- 2 carrots
- 1 parsnip
- 1/2 celery root
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 red or yellow potatoes
- Fresh dill
- Flat leaf parsley
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup pickle brine
- Sour cream for serving
For optional dumplings:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Pour water, chicken or vegetable stock (or some combination of either) in large pot on high heat and add 2 bay leaves.
- Cube potatoes into bite size pieces and add to the pot.
- Grate carrots, parsnip and celery root on the largest holes of a box grater, or, shred in a food processor.
- Dice yellow onion.
- Add vegetables to a pan with 1 tbsp of butter and a few pinches of salt on medium heat. After cooking for about 10 minutes, add to pot of stock and reduce to medium-heat. Cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Coarsely pulse or grate pickles and add to pot. Add pickle brine. Reduce heat to medium, cook for another 15 minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a separate pan over medium heat. Slowly add 3 tablespoons of flour to the butter, stirring constantly. Within 2 to 4 minutes the roux will thicken and turn golden brown. Once it has darkened slightly, add a few tablespoons of the soup liquid to the pan and stir. Then add that mixture to the soup pot. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Optional: add dumplings and/or shredded chicken. To make dumplings, mix flour, water, salt and baking soda together in a bowl. Then, drop ~1 tsp. of dough at a time directly into the soup. The dumplings will need approximately 15 minutes.
- Add chopped fresh parsley, dill, and freshly found black pepper to the pot. Cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
Serve with sour cream and enjoy!