Batter Ingredients (makes about 12 pancakes):
- 15oz of farmer’s cheese or 2 packages (twarog)
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup of unbleached flour (+ another ⅓ cup for dusting the pancakes)
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon or half and orange
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp of olive oil (coconut oil could be a good substitute)
- To make batter, mix together cheese, eggs, ¾ cup flour, lemon or orange zest, vanilla extract, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Put baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl. Once it fizzes, add to the batter mix.
- Mix all together until everything has combined. It will still look a little clumpy, but that’s good! Stir in the raisins until they are evenly distributed.
- Coat bottom of a large pan with thin layer of oil on medium heat.
- In a separate small bowl, add ⅓ cup flour. Drop about 2 tbsp of batter mix to flour. An ice cream scoop would be helpful for this, but using 2 spoons works fine. Coat the entire pancake very lightly with flour and press down gently.
- Place the pancake onto the hot pan and heat for about 4 minutes on each side, or until golden. The center should look a little gooey and ooze a bit.
- Place the pancake on a plate and add sour cream and fresh fruit, or whatever else you would like!