This carrot soup is really more of a broth, and is meant to be served with dumplings or noodles.
You will need to use a small amount of cheesecloth to make a sachet so you can infuse the broth with the whole peppercorns, thyme, and parsley stems without having them float around when serving. Alternatively, you can tie the thyme and parsley stems with cooking twine, and then go fishing for the whole peppercorns. The recipe for the accompanying potato dumplings can be found here: potato dumplings (kluski).
- 1 qt. carrot juice
- 2 1/2 qts. water or vegetable stock
- 2 Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 8 oz. fresh crimini or white mushrooms, grated
- 0.25 oz. dried borowiki mushrooms (or porcini)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 parsley root, grated
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorn
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper (starting amount — add more after tasting if needed)
- 1/2 bunch of fresh parsley (stems included)
- 1 tsp. vegeta seasoning (or seasoned salt)
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Cheesecloth and/or cooking twine
- Salt to taste
In a large pot, add a small amount of butter or oil on medium heat. Add finely chopped onions, grated mushrooms, grated parsley root, and minced garlic to pot with vegeta seasoning and cook for about 10 minutes, until mushrooms begin to release liquid.
To the pot, add carrot juice, water, and whole bay leaves, and increase to medium-high heat.
Take fresh parsley and cut the stems off. Chop parsley leaves and set aside for serving. Add parsley stems, sprigs of thyme, and whole peppercorns to a piece of cheesecloth, and tie together four corner of cloth so that nothing will fall out. Add sachet to the pot and cook on medium-high for 30 minutes.
Take dried mushrooms and blitz in a food processor until you get a powder. Add the crushed mushrooms, fresh ground black pepper, and vinegar to the pot, and cook on medium for another 20 minutes.
Taste the soup and adjust salt if necessary. Once seasoning is just right, remove the sachet.
Serve in a bowl with some fresh dumplings, and add fresh parsley for serving.